Monday, October 20, 2008

Are some people born lucky?

Luck. Something we all need from time to time and more than often during an economic crisis like the one we are experiencing now.

Its funny but it only seems to be at times like this when you really notice just how lucky or not so lucky you are,

If I was to put my luck on a scale of 1 to 10 it would probably average out at about 2.

If I were able to make money from being unlucky I would be incredibly rich but then that would be lucky and as I am not lucky so that won't happen.

It makes you sick when you see headlines in the news like '16 year old wins lottery'. There you are struggling to make ends meat, going through the daily drudgery of working to live, just as you always have for the last 20 years of your lift. Your lottery numbers never seem to come up and then all of a sudden 16 year old Tom Anom down the road wins the roll over.

You should be happy for the lad but your current predicament just leaves you thinking why him? he's not done anything, he always gets into trouble with the police, he doesn't deserve to win but I do.

Thats the thing about lady luck. She's not choosy about who to bestow good fortune on.

I use to disagree with the idea that some people are born lucky but in recent years I've seen more than my fair share of evidence to make me think differently.

There are a few people I know who always seem to come up smelling of roses no matter how much guana they cover themselves in. Sometimes I have felt cursed when a year has gone by and not one bit of luck has visited me. Yet for these other people the luck just keeps on coming.

In fact I have to say me and my wife are quite depressed at the moment because we've nearly had a year of things going wrong. One after another, after another.

So, was I born unlucky for some reason or am I creating the bad luck through 'negativity'. I hate that word so much especially when people preach it to you. Yes lets get onto preaching. Here's some of those phrases that get me smoking around the edges.

1. 'Luck of the Irish' - Mmm, so lady luck is racist as well as unfair.
2. 'You make your own luck' - Do you? Who said so and wheres the manual?
3. 'Turn your negative into a positive' - Er ok, I've lost my job, my home, my wife and kids through no fault of my own. What would you suggest? Write a book? Go on Jerry Springer? Join a reality TV show? Get real will you!
4. 'Read my new book. How to calculate the winning lottery numbers' - They are out there and if you are mug enough to believe them then you really are unlucky.

I'm sure there are many more out there that readers will elaborate on.

One thing I would like to know is are there any chances that a terminaly unlucky person could at some point become lucky. I really hope so and if you are listening lady luck, don't give me the lottery win on my 90th birthday just days before I die.

No comments: